Holden Observatory building to reopen, hold classes in spring semester

Holden Observatory, the second building ever constructed on the Syracuse University campus, will reopen in January 2015 with improved facilities to help students learn about astronomy.

The observatory will host astronomy recitation classes of 21 students and a professor, said Christopher Danek, assistant director of Academic Facilities. The observatory will also provide free access to elementary and high school students, staff, faculty and administrators at SU, he said.

Holden Observatory, which was built in 1887, is located near Eggers Hall and White Hall.

The money to refurbish the observatory was donated by Marvin Druger, a professor emeritus of biology and science education, in honor of his wife Patricia Meyers Druger, a former College of Arts and Sciences administrator who died in January.

“This will be a wonderful place to learn about the universe and think about life on our planet,” Druger said. “After construction is complete, students will learn astronomy in a much more appropriate, exciting setting.”

The proposal to restore the observatory, referred to as “The Pat Project,” has been set in motion with construction that began last week. To introduce the revamped observatory, there will be a dedication ceremony, Druger said.

The observatory will be home to the Patricia Meyers Druger Astronomy Learning Center, made possible by donations from Druger. Upon entering the renovated building, students, professors and visitors will encounter a photograph and a plaque that honor Patricia Druger. His wife, who was an administrator in the biology department and a member of the Writing Program at SU, was always intrigued by astronomy, Druger said.

“I made the donation because I love her dearly and I want her memory to be preserved,” Druger said.

The observatory will also house a variety of astronomical instruments such as three new display monitors and web-based cameras that connect to telescopes on the front lawn of the observatory to improve the teaching experience, Druger said.

With the new upgrades, Danek, the assistant director of academic facilities, said he hopes the facility will create a more hands-on learning experience for students.

“We are making sure the facility reflects the best that the university has to provide and the best educational experience,” he said.

Druger said Chancellor Kent Syverud and his wife, Ruth Chen, have shown immense support of the new renovation, believing that the motivational learning environment is a new tool to enhance professors’ ability to teach and engage students.

Along with improving the learning experience, Holden Observatory will have a different interior design compared to other buildings on campus, including a bathroom with “astronomical beauty,” Druger said.

Thomas Vo, an astronomy teaching assistant and graduate student in the physics program, said in an email that teaching in the observatory will make a big difference for students.

“Holden Observatory is a direct connection to the past and its rustic feel gives a real sense of history,” Vo said. “I think it’s way cooler to be teaching in an observatory that has such a vintage feel to it.”

Druger said he has high hopes that the “motivational learning environment” will revive the observatory’s original purpose of improving the professors’ and students’ experiences.

“Students and professors will be proud of this beautiful, unique facility and student learning will be more effective,” Druger said. “It will be a centerpiece at Syracuse University.”