Halloween Guide 2014

Local attractions offer partying alternatives

Bar crawls, haunted houses offer scary entertainment as a way to celebrate Halloween in lieu of typical off-campus house parties

SCOPE Haunted House

Can’t make it off campus? Don’t worry, on Oct. 30, the South Campus Organization for Programming Excellence will bring the fright and fun of Halloween to you. The Skybarn on South Campus will be transformed into a haunted house with SU students starring as the creepy characters. Since there is no bus that travels directly to Skybarn, buses will be provided to transport students from South Campus to the haunted house. The event will also feature free food, candy and a costume contest.

Creepy Camp

If you dare to visit the campgrounds of Chittenango, you’ll be lucky enough to experience one of central New York’s longest running haunted attractions. For the past 20 years, Creepy Camp has been frightening its guests with three terror tours: the Creepy Cabins, Slaughter House and Intensity. Guests can visit every Friday, Saturday and Sunday in October, starting at 7:30 p.m. All three attractions can be seen in a $20 package or for $8 each, and all proceeds benefit High Esteem’s Camp Goodwill for young adults and children with physical disabilities or special needs.

5755 State Route 13/Falls Blvd., Chittenango, New York, 315-655-1033

Zombie Crawl

For the over-21 crowd, this night of demons and drinks may provide a more mature scene. The 95X Zombie Crawl starts at 7:30 p.m. and parades through Tipperary Hill. Crawlers will begin at the Blarney Stone and end at Rosie’s Sports Pub & Grille, making pit stops at George O’Dea’s and McAvan’s Pub along the way. Admission is free, and drink specials will be offered at participating pubs along the way.

The Blarney Stone, 314 Avery Ave., Syracuse, New York, 95x.com

Fright Nights at the Fair

This Halloween, the New York State Fairgrounds are transforming their typically cheerful grounds into a midway of haunted attractions. This year, Fright Nights at the Fair is offering five different haunted houses for guests to face. The Dungeon of Doom, Clown Prison, Chainsaw Massacre, Hostel and House of the Living Dead are all open from 7 p.m. until midnight on Fridays and Saturdays, and until 11 p.m. on Sundays, until Oct. 26. Tickets can be purchased for $10 per attraction or $20 for all five. Visit frightnightsatthefair.com for discounts.

New York State Fairgrounds, 315-863-6714

The Haunted Forest

The Haunted Forest has a little bit of everything to fulfill your Halloween cravings. Choose between the Dark Harvest walking trail, the Original Wagon ride through the haunted forest or the Asylum, the newest indoor attraction. There is also a hearse ride, haunted hayride and outdoor screenings of Halloween horror films. Each attraction is priced individually.

95 Nichols Rd., Williamstown, New York,
thehauntedforestcny.com