Fast reaction: 3 takeaways from Syracuse’s season-ending loss to Johns Hopkins

Moriah Ratner | Asst. Photo Editor

Ralph D'Agostino defends a Johns Hopkins player. Syracuse's season ended on Sunday in its loss to the Blue Jays.

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — Second-seeded Syracuse’s (13-3, 2-2 Atlantic Coast) comeback fell just short, as Johns Hopkins (11-6, 4-1 Big Ten) beat the Orange, 16-15, to advance to the NCAA tournament final four. Here are three quick observations from the Orange’s season-ending loss on Sunday. 

On the Schneid

Johns Hopkins goalie Eric Schneider was the difference-maker on Sunday, totaling 15 saves and sprawling out on numerous occasions to prevent would-be Syracuse goals.

Whether it was in a near-split position, from his knees or interrupting a scrum in front of his net, the senior netminder came to the rescue for the Blue Jays throughout the game. 

SU goalie Bobby Wardwell was no slouch, tying a career high with 14 saves of his own, but it came on probably the only day when he wouldn’t be the best goalie on the field.

Turned over

SU head coach John Desko has said that if his team has one weakness, it’s turning the ball over. His statement came to fruition — especially late in the game — as the Orange gave away multiple possessions when it needed them most. 

With Hopkins holding a three-goal lead and the clock ticking under six minutes in the fourth, SU defender Jay McDermott overthrew Sean Young on a cross-field pass and Young barely kept the ball in bounds. Young then nearly missed Wardwell, who, after being pressured, threw the ball near nobody and out of bounds.

In total, Syracuse turned the ball over 12 times compared to JHU’s six and wasted far too many possessions. 

Twice as nice

Brothers Shack and Wells Stanwick were simply too much for the Orange to handle.

The two combined for eight goals and four assists, and Wells Stanwick’s buzzer-beating goal at the end of the third quarter gave Johns Hopkins a three-goal cushion that SU would never recover from.

He scored JHU’s first three goals of the game and Shack Stanwick netted two at the start of the second half, both assisted by his older brother. In the end, the two provided a second and third dimension on top of primary attack Ryan Brown, which was too dynamic for Syracuse to defend.