Recruiting

Syracuse football recruiting: WR, RB target Moe Neal fits hybrid position, says his high school coach

Forestview (North Carolina) High School head coach Chris Medlin has come to expect running back and wide receiver Moe Neal to make plays that make him say, “wow!”

“He’s that type of player,” Medlin said. “The thing I found out about him over the past three years is that the spectacular plays are pretty common.”

Neal will be announcing his verbal commitment on Saturday at 1 p.m. and Syracuse and Wake Forest are his two finalists, according to multiple media reports. The 5-foot-11, 160-pound Neal is ranked with three stars and as the 38th-best “athlete” in the Class of 2016 by 247Sports.com’s composite rankings.

The Orange currently has 14 pledges for 2016, including running back Robert Washington, who was told by SU coaches that he’d be the only running back in the class. That still leaves room for Neal, though, because he would fit at Syracuse as a hybrid — a position that offensive coordinator Tim Lester is introducing this upcoming season which could serve as an offensive weapon in the backfield, in the slot and on the line.

“(Neal) can score at any point, from anywhere on the field,” Medlin said. “He can do it multiple ways whether it’s catching the ball or running it or returning kicks. He’s really an explosive player.”

As a sophomore at Forestview, Neal caught 70 passes for 782 yards and 10 touchdowns while also rushing for 1,031 yards on 161 carries and 16 touchdowns, according to MaxPreps.com. As a junior, his receiving numbers dipped as he made 35 receptions for 549 yards and nine touchdowns, but his ground game improved as he totaled 2,018 yards and 29 touchdowns on 273 carries.

Medlin said he deploys Neal in certain roles depending on the game. If Neal is successful as a receiver, Medlin keeps him at receiver or if Neal is doing well as a running back, Medlin keeps him there.

While there is some uncertainty about how Lester will use his hybrids, it may be similar to how Medlin uses Neal.

Said Medlin: “I think that’s a great fit for him, as far as that position.”