Style

Homan: 10 must-have wardrobe items for the fall semester

It’s time for back to school, which means stocking your wardrobe with everything you’ll need for the year, or at least the semester. Incorporate these 10 items into your wardrobe to make the most of fashion meets function.

1. A great leather jacket: Throughout September and most of October, you won’t need a super heavy coat. A leather jacket will keep you warm while also adding edge to your style. A black biker-style goes with almost everything in your closet and can take any boring outfit up a notch.

2. A plaid flannel shirt: Nothing says fall like a cozy flannel, but this piece can also transition into winter. Wear it with denim shorts now and layer it under a chunky sweater and coat when the temperatures drop. Flannel shirts look better the more authentic-looking they are, so skip Urban Outfitters and search for a worn-in one at a thrift store like 3fifteen in Marshall Square Mall or even Goodwill.

3. Trendy jewelry: In Syracuse weather, it can be difficult to look fashion-forward all the time — you’ll be tempted to throw on leggings, and your boots and coat don’t help the look. Instead of investing your money into seasonal trends that won’t last more than a year and will be nearly impossible to survive the winter in, opt for inexpensive jewelry trends to elevate your style. A simple sweater looks chic when paired with a long drop necklace or a choker necklace set.

4. Cute snow boots: You’ll be living in snow boots all winter, so make sure to get a pair you really love. That being said, don’t sacrifice your toes for fashion — make sure you get a durable, warm pair. I recommend Sorel boots; the Conquest Carly Boot is functional and stylish (or as stylish as snow boots can get).

5. A felt floppy hat: If there is one clothing item that can transform an outfit, it’s a hat. A felt floppy hat is on-trend and popular with bloggers and magazines, but a surprisingly few number of people actually wear one around. A hat is bold, but it can pull together your outfit — and hide a bad hair day.

6. A fun jumpsuit: It’s no secret that ‘Cuse kids like to party. But even if you’re hopping around house parties and frats, you don’t need to submit to a boring bodycon dress. Instead, show off your style with a cool jumpsuit. You’ll stand out from the crowd in a good way.

7. Black leggings: When you have to wear boots, it’s hard to get creative with your pants. Flowy and wide-leg pants are in fashion, but those are pretty hard to pull off with snow boots on. Still, you don’t have to wear the same boring black-stretch leggings every day. Mix up your look with a few different kinds—try leather, biker style or corduroy.

8. A business-casual blazer: At some point in the year, you will be asked to dress in business casual attire. If you’re in Whitman, this will probably happen a lot. In any case, a good black blazer will come in handy more than you think. You can even dress it down with boyfriend jeans and a cute tank for class.

9. A warm parka: Stand out from a sea of The North Face and Canada Goose with a more fashion-forward parka. Of course you will need it to be warm enough, but as long as you have proper boots, gloves, and a hat, you won’t need to overdo it on the coat.

10. Something orange: Say yes to school spirit. Include some Syracuse orange in your closet to show off how much you love your college.

Jackie Homan is a sophomore magazine journalism major. You can email her at jahoman@syr.edu or follow her @jackie_homan on Twitter.