From the Runway

4 outfits to impress this fall semester

Moriah Ratner | The Daily Orange

Here are four outfits based on the latest fashion trends.

School’s back in session and we all want to put our best foot (covered in a stylish boot, heel, flat or sandal, of course) forward. Everyone’s dressed to impress and trying to embrace the last bit of warm weather. Here’s how to wear some of this fall’s top trends so you’re the chicest student in the classroom.

Flower Child

083115_P_FTR_Ratner_APE2

Moriah Ratner | Asst. Photo Editor

It’s time to embrace your inner hippie because the ‘70s are back and here to stay. Bring out the denim, fringe, lace and florals for a free-spirited feel. This trend is all about flowy silhouettes and comfort. Wide-leg patterned pants, peasant blouses, lace shifts, suede skirts and fringe vests are all you need to look like you did a little time traveling. Check your mom’s closet to see if she has anything left from the carefree days of The Beatles and the Eagles. Peace dude.

Mod Maven

083115_P_FTR_Ratner_APE1

Moriah Ratner | Asst. Photo Editor

When it comes to necklines this fall, the higher the better. Turtlenecks are no longer just items you find in your grandma’s closet or see on a nun. By having a higher collar you can show a little more skin elsewhere in your outfit — an open back or a shorter skirt. Balance is key. You can also play it up by experimenting with different silhouettes — a loose turtleneck dress like I’m wearing or a tight-fitting short-sleeve turtleneck paired with a buttoned-down A-line skirt. The possibilities are endless.

Bell-bottom Babe

083115_P_FTR_Ratner_APE3

Moriah Ratner | Asst. Photo Editor

Skinny jeans are no more. Just kidding, but you no longer have to restrict your jeans to fit tight around the ankles. If you’re not feeling full-on bell-bottoms that start to flare at the knees, don’t fret. There are a wide variety of widths out there, so you can get the right amount of flare. You can easily dress flares up with a button-down and blazer with wedges for work or a plain white tee and sandals for class. Go big or go home.

Plaid Princess

083115_P_FTR_Ratner_APE4

Moriah Ratner | Asst. Photo Editor

Tap into your outdoorsy side with this cozy flannel and Sherpa number. Pair plaids with comfy jeans, leather boots and furry vests to keep you warm as the weather starts to get gold (or if you get those random professors that like to blast the AC). You’ll be the cutest lumberjack out there. Stay cozy, look good, feel good.

Whether it’s looking flirty in a pair of flare jeans, fun in a denim shift, cozy in a plaid flannel or sophisticated in a turtleneck dress, there is a trend this fall for everyone. This is the year to dress up and excite everyone with your new flair. Keep calm and style on.

Alexis McDonell is a junior magazine journalism major. You can email her at admcdone@syr.edu.