Week in Review

Week in News: DPS loses 4 shotguns, former sorority sister shakes up Greek world and more

DPS lost four shotguns in October.

Get caught up on the week in news here:

DPS loses 4 shotguns

The Department of Public Safety announced last week that four shotguns have been missing since October. The weapons were used as part of a certification exercise in Elbridge, New York, and were stowed in the back of the truck in a case. After eating at a restaurant, the DPS officers found the tailgate open and the guns gone.

A law professor with an extensive background in guns said Syracuse University could be liable for any incidents related to the weapons if it is proved they were stowed improperly and the incident occurred close to the place and the time the guns were lost.

dpschief

Logan Reidsma | Senior Staff Photographer

Alex Purdy shares Greek experiences

Alex Purdy, a senior public relations major at SU, was in the spotlight this week after posting a YouTube video about why she left her sorority. Purdy said she thought joining a sorority would give her a strong support system, but instead saw girls bullying each other. Her message, #SororityRevamp, is about opening a dialogue about the issue and making changes, she said.

Purdy was also featured on the morning talk show TODAY. As of Sunday at 8:03 p.m., the video had 130,530 views.

2216_N_AlexPurdy_DrewOsumiAlexChui_SPs_WEB

Drew Osumi and Alex Chui | Staff Photographers

31st annual MLK Celebration highlights students

Marc Lamont Hill and others took the stage at the 31st annual Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration in the Carrier Dome on Jan. 31. The celebration, which is the largest university-sponsored event of its kind in the country, featured its first-ever student speaker, Danielle Reid. She introduced Hill, an award-winning journalist, and asked the audience to imagine a better world.

Hill said people must become part of a larger movement for change if they hope to make a difference. Five community members also received the Unsung Heroes award for their work in the community. See pictures of the event here.

riannemlk

Liam Sheehan | Asst. Photo editor

Train platform gets $1.5 million renovation

The New York State Department of Transportation has allocated $1.5 million to renovating an abandoned and rundown train platform alongside Route 690. The project is part of a statewide revitalization effort. The white statues that are visible when driving by the platform may stay or be moved elsewhere.

In letters to the editor to Syracuse.com, many community members questioned why so much money is being put in this project. They say the money should be used to help the city and its residents instead.