Harambe sign in dorm room window raises eyebrows

Casey Russell | Asst. Feature Editor

A sign that read "RIP Harambe" was posted in a Watson Hall dorm window

A large sign reading “RIP Harambe” written in sticky notes on a Watson Hall dorm room window overlooks one of campus’ busiest streets, University Place.

Keelie Hotchkiss, a sophomore majoring in forensic science and psychology, along with her three roommates, posted the message in the window of their quad’s common room, Hotchkiss said in an email. Two of the roommates used to post similar messages on their window during freshman year, including “Kanye 2020” and “it’s lit.” This year, the group decided to continue the tradition with “RIP Harambe.”

Earlier this summer, a gorilla named Harambe was shot and killed by a park ranger in order to protect a three-year-old boy who had fallen into the gorilla’s enclosure at the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden. Since the May 28 incident, Harambe and his untimely death has turned into an internet meme.

Many of the memes are centered around the 2016 presidential race; Green Party candidate Jill Stein can be found in many Harambe memes. Some have gone as far as calling Harambe the “meme of the summer,” comparing it to past internet trends like the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

The Watson Hall “RIP Harambe” has earned a lot of attention on campus over the past few days. It started to gain traction when Hotchkiss tweeted a picture of it, she said in the email. Her friends quickly informed her and her roommates that students on campus that she didn’t know personally were posting about their dorm room window on social media.

Syracuse students displayed mixed reactions to the campus Harambe meme.

Sophomore newspaper and online journalism major Justin Perline was walking into Watson with his roommate when he spotted the notice. He pointed it out and they both laughed.

However, others were not as appreciative of the internet humor brought into real life.

Sam Lee, a sophomore art photography major said he thought the meme was slightly disrespectful, and Taylor Russell, a sophomore psychology major, expressed indifference.

“Typical college,” Russell said.