Movie

Kevin Hart’s new movie changes the comedy game

Standard Hollywood films opened at the box office this weekend, including Ben Affleck’s new thriller “The Accountant.” But one new release was a little different than what we’re used to. Instead of a traditional movie, we saw a wide theatrical release of a comedy special, “What Now?” This special belongs to the current king of comedy and social media hustler Kevin Hart. The film brought in a hugely respectable $11 million, according to Box Office Mojo.     
   
While $11 million is not changing the game of box office openings, this number is more impressive than it seems. More than anything, Kevin Hart’s special was a test to see just how marketable he can be as a star.
   
While films like “The Accountant” bring in crowds with Affleck’s name, he is not the only reason people see the film. Maybe the action looks exciting, maybe they like one of his costars or maybe they think the plot of the film is intriguing. There are multiple layers to market and everyone can see the same film for a different reason.    
   
With “What Now?” though, there is one and only one reason people will go buy a ticket: Kevin Hart.    
   
When you think about it, the film is asking a lot of an audience. They must get in their car, drive to the theater and drop anywhere from $12-14 to see a recording of a special they could probably get for virtually free sometime soon. Still, the film had a solid opening. This just proves Kevin Hart is the real deal and comedy is a bigger draw than many people would think.   
  
Seeing a stand up show is an amazing experience that has somehow been lost over the years. Sitting in the room with other people, you get to bond together in the laughter, which only feeds off of each other. “What Now?” is reminiscent of hits like Eddie Murphy’s “Raw” and Richard Pryor’s “Live in Concert,” but for the new, modern social media age.    
   
In the simultaneously politically correct and politically tense climate we are currently living in, the need for comedy is greater now more than ever. Just as Kevin Hart’s film achieved a hugely respectable opening, Netflix announced last week they will be creating two exclusive Chris Rock stand up specials. While comedy on Netflix is nothing new, Rock’s price point of these films is certainly worth noting, as he will be commanding $40 million for these two specials according to Box Office Mojo.
   
What makes a couple of stand up shows worth $40 million? Rock has the mass appeal of someone like Kevin Hart, but also the wit and punch of a comedian like Richard Pryor. By investing in Rock, Netflix proves that they are willing to spend big money to get the best comedy possible, and streamers will reward them with continued subscriptions, as we know that Netflix will be the go-to destination for the most exclusive and highest quality specials.   
   
While Rock will be featured in the streaming sphere and Hart’s film was released in the theatrical window, the message is the same: it’s an amazing time to be a comedy fan. While the world around us might not be in tip-top shape, this provides the perfect opportunity to poke fun at our everyday lives.  

Studios are realizing the cultural need for catharsis through laughing, and it is possible that just this week we witnessed the birth of a new era. I am excited to sit with a group of strangers and laugh at the tragedy of the human experience, binge a few new specials in the privacy of my home and cannot wait to see the innovative work that comes out next.

Erik Benjamin is a junior Television, Radio, and Film Major. He is very nervous about the reception to this article. You can reach him at ebenjami@syr.edu, or @embenjamin14.