Q&A with The Charlotte News & Observer Duke beat writer Jessika Morgan

Tyler Roberson and the Orange will have to contend with a hot Duke team on Wednesday night.

UPDATED: Feb. 22, 2017 at 11 a.m.

On Wednesday, Syracuse returns home to play one of its most hyped games of the season, squaring off with No. 10 Duke in the Carrier Dome.

To learn more about the Blue Devils, The Daily Orange talked with Duke beat writer Jessika Morgan of The Charlotte News & Observer based in Raleigh, North Carolina.

The Daily Orange: In such a topsy-turvy season, what is the state of Duke basketball right now?

Jessika Morgan: Duke is closer and closer to the team it had really hoped to be in October. I think there’s a ton more consistency these past few weeks because the team, highlighted by this star-studded freshman class, has had more opportunities to practice at full strength. But even today, Duke doesn’t have all of its guys because veterans Amile Jefferson (foot) and Grayson Allen (ankle) are playing injured and haven’t been able to practice.

What’s scary is that I don’t think Duke is at full strength on the court because of those injuries and because we haven’t seen the best of freshmen bigs Harry Giles and Marques Bolden.

The D.O.: After losing three of four games in January, the Blue Devils are on a seven-game win streak. What’s fueled the recent run of success?

J.M.: Duke has more of its pieces in place and guys are starting to settle into their roles. Star freshman Jayson Tatum takes over when he needs to, having a couple of huge second halves during this seven-game stretch. Duke has shared the ball much more, thus, becoming a lot more efficient from the floor. The Blue Devils averaged about 10 assists during a four-game stretch where they lost three games. The next four, starting at Wake Forest to ignite their current win streak, the team averaged more than 15 assists a game.

The D.O.: Which under-the-radar player should Syracuse fans be aware of?

J.M.: Javin DeLaurier hasn’t played since he was in for one minute against N.C. State on Jan. 23, but he can provide a big spark if Duke needs it. The freshman forward is extremely athletic but hasn’t gotten much action in ACC play.

The D.O.: If there’s a way, how can Syracuse beat Duke?

J.M.: Duke has so many individual threats it can use. Even if you shut down a Tatum or Luke Kennard, Grayson Allen can take off. Matt Jones can take off. Frank Jackson can take off. It’ll be a challenge to contain the guys who can get their own shot, but a super scorer from Syracuse can at least keep it in the game. The Orange should take advantage if Duke happens to have a major scoring gap, which it hasn’t done lately but has done before.

The D.O.: Any thought on what the outcome of Wednesday’s game will be?

J.M.: I think Duke is rolling. I know ACC teams haven’t particularly done well on the road, but with a road win over UVA and then earlier at Notre Dame, I don’t see the Blue Devils slowing down with so much at stake these next four games. They’ve proven how well they can overcome adversity, and the only thing that may in their way is themselves — and perhaps North Carolina.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, Duke’s ranking was misstated. The Daily Orange regrets this error.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, The Charlotte News & Observer was misnamed. The Daily Orange regrets this error.