humor column

Ticket exchanges for Mayfest and Block Party should be a thing

Kadijah Watkins | The Daily Orange

Mayfest is Friday in Walnut Park, followed by Block Party that night in the Carrier Dome.

I would like to preface this by saying that I’m not only writing this article because I’m upset that I didn’t get a ticket to Block Party. I’m writing this because I’m upset that I didn’t get a ticket to Block Party, don’t get me wrong, it’s just not the ONLY reason.

Here’s the thing. I tried to get a ticket. I was ready when the tickets first came out, but the site didn’t work. We are aware of that situation and I won’t cover the incompetency that is University Union. I could’ve written a whole article debating which administration is more organized, the Trump White House or UU, but I didn’t.

I’m here for solutions.

So, obviously, I got screwed out of a ticket. But I haven’t given up. I’m going to get a ticket to Block Party, but everyone trying to sell their ticket is out of their minds right now and asking for $75 or more for a concert that’s really worth about $6.

A lot of students are feeling the same way about being denied a ticket to Block Party. I mean, there are 20,000 or so students here at Syracuse University and the Carrier Dome seats 35,000 for basketball, so I’m not too sure why tickets have to be so exclusive.

The worst part is that so many students never make it to Block Party anyway. They end up with tons of empty seats. So, I, as someone who can control myself while drinking, think we should have a system, an exchange if you will, of tickets. There should be an exit stand at Mayfest where you can buy or sell tickets for Block Party.

How do we go about this? Well, it can be optional. But let’s be honest, most drunk people won’t go for giving up their ticket. I think there are a ton of other ways we can enforce this. For example, maybe a breathalyzer is a great option. If you blow a, I don’t know, .5 on the breathalyzer, maybe you’re not making it to Block Party. That, or maybe we set up a stand right at the entrance of the emergency room to donate or sell your ticket.

Whatever it is, I think there should be repurposing of the tickets of the — and I’ll put it conservatively — 35 percent of people who won’t show up.

Again, I’m not upset I didn’t get a ticket. I haven’t liked Gucci Mane since 2011 and I don’t like that SZA and Medasin spell common objects incorrectly. But again, it’s a shame to see all those tickets go to waste.

Josh Feinblatt is a junior television, radio, film major. He will probably wait until an hour before Block Party to buy a ticket for 5 dollars for someone desperately looking to get rid of it. He can be reached on Twitter @joshfeinblatt or by email at jfeinbla@syr.edu for all cheap tickets.