Columns

SU’s once-prestigious reputation has been slowly slipping for a few years

Meghan Hendricks | Photo Editor

The rapid erosion of SU's reputation has been brought on by lowered academic prestige and the administration’s lack of dedication for students’ concerns.

At one point or another, every student is asked, “Why did you choose to come to Syracuse University?” Some will point to the legacy of programs like the Newhouse School of Public Communications, while others have family ties that brought them here. I have a little bit of a different story.

Admittedly, SU was far from my top choice, especially coming into college not knowing what I wanted my major to be. I was initially drawn to schools that were in a warmer climate and had plenty of opportunities, but they were considered “reaches” based on my academic profile. When all of those schools passed me by, SU was the only school which accepted me that I was remotely interested in.

I quickly bought into what many current and former students, as well as various media outlets, have disseminated: SU is a reputable university that challenges students in the classroom and has a great sports scene and social atmosphere.

The only downside being the gloomy weather, I committed over $40,000 to my first semester, however, as my first year came and went, I began to realize that the university that was pitched to me was a thing of the past and that SU had been coasting off of its reputation.

The first and most obvious reason is the administration and their decisions, or lack thereof, that affect the student body. There is a clear disconnect between what the students want out of the school and what the school does. Many students feel that the university has not handled incidents of sexual assault, racism, and mental health in an adequate and timely manner.

There are also student life issues like taking away meal swipes at Schine Student Center, not implementing wellness days, and not having stronger mental health services on campus. These grievances combined with rising tuition have students feeling that the SU administration only cares about what is most convenient for them, not about what is best for the student body.

Furthermore, the social and sports atmosphere at SU is a big draw for a lot of kids who want to have fun while at college, but that has taken a massive downturn as well. DJ’s On the Hill’s closure, a place that many students have fond memories of, was really disappointing. This also has led to Greek life on campus becoming one of the only outlets for students to party and have conventional big college social events.

Lastly, there is the academic aspect. In 2019, the acceptance rate at SU was 44%, according to College Gazette, meaning that not everyone could expect to get in and there was some level of excellence expected from the student body. However, in 2021 the acceptance rate shot up to 69%, according to College Gazette, putting SU in the same range of acceptance as some big public schools like University of Delaware and Michigan State University. These state schools, unlike private schools such as SU, are required to accept a certain number of students from within the state they are located in, raising the acceptance rate.

SU, however, can accept or decline students at their discretion, which should make students question the direction that the university is heading in. The rise in the acceptance rate can be attributed to the amount of students that transferred out of the university over the past year, in part due to the school’s COVID-19 restrictions and the strain of having online classes last year.

While Syracuse University is far from being a laughingstock of higher education, its once prestigious name is trending downward, as there is a rift between the administration and student body, a toxic social environment and a downturn in academic standards.

Dalton Baxter is a sophomore applied data analytics major. His column appears biweekly. He can be reached at dwbaxter@syr.edu.